Baked Mac & Cheese with Shrimp
When I get a craving for something, food wise, it takes over my whole life. Nothing satisfies me until that craving is fulfilled. These past few weeks, this has happened to me. I had a craving for mac and cheese but with more. What I mean by that, is that it had to have more than just mac and cheese. The best part about mac and cheese is that you can add just about anything you want into it. Bacon, crab, lobster, chicken, hot dogs, ground beef, the list go on and on. So, to fulfill this hankering of mine I deiced to whip something up. The recipe I used I found on pinterest (it is saved to my food board). I changed it around a little and didn't follow measurements exactly, but hey! that's what cooking is all about.
Hope you all enjoy!
- 1 Box of Pasta
- 1 Pound of Shrimp, peeled and chopped (I used uncooked peeled shrimp. I cooked the raw shrimp separately, and chopped)
- 3 Tablespoons of Butter
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons of All Purpose Flour
- 3 Cups of Milk
- 1 Teaspoon of Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper, add per your own taste
- Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper, add to taste
- 8 Ounces of Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 8 Ounces of Asiago Cheese, Shredded
- 4 Ounces of Parmesan Cheese, Shredded
- Panko and Fresh Parsley (optional)
- Heat oven to 350º F.
- Bring a large pot of slightly salted water to a boil, stir in pasta and cook for about 5-7 minutes then drain.
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat.Whisk in the flour. Continue whisking until you see small bubbles, about 2 minutes. Slowly add milk, a little bit at a time, whisking until smooth between each addition. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Bring to low heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Working with about one cup of cheese at a time, add all cheeses - Whisk until smooth between each addition.
- Pour cheese sauce over the cooked noodles and mix well to coat the pasta. Add shrimp and mix.
- Spoon in macaroni into a casserole dish. Sprinkle Panko, fresh parsley over top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.