Crusted Parmesan Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
As kids I'm sure the majority of us grew up loving a good old fashioned grilled cheese sandwich, so when my cravings kicked in, for a not so typical grilled cheese sandwich, I went to work. Because my cravings are never ending, and not only did I want a grilled cheese, but I wanted something to do with a basil pesto. I had made my own basil pesto sauce for this dish, so go ahead and use whatever type of pesto you enjoy. I also didn't use any fancy bread, I really just worked with what I had at home. But I did use fresh Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese, which helped this meal turn out cheesy, creamy and fresh.
This super easy quick recipe will leave you wanting seconds, or thirds. :P
- 2 Slices of bread of choice
- 1 tablespoon of soft butter, for brushing the bread
- 1-2 Slices of Mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Basil Pesto
- 1/3 Cups finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-low heat.
- Butter each side of the bread. Spread basil pesto on the inside of each slice of bread. Place mozzarella cheese slice(s) on top of bread. Top with other slice of bread. Sprinkle half of Parmesan cheese on the outside of the sandwich.
Place the sandwich, cheese side down, on the hot pan. Grill for about 2 min or until Parmesan cheeses is crusted and golden brown. Sprinkle the rest of the Parmesan cheese on the other side of the sandwich. Cook for about 2 min or until the cheese has crusted and golden brown. Serve immediately.